Sunday, September 25, 2005

GRANDPA JOE


I never met my Grandfather, as he died before I was born, but I have always felt close. Partly as we share the same middle name and also now that I too am a soldier. I came across this article and felt that it was someting I wanted to add to my blog. I also added some old images , and a letter (not from my Grandfather), that I have from that time to help paint a picture of what life must have like for Joe and all the other brave souls who fought and died during that time..... SSG Oz


Private Joseph William Collins No. 3787 enlisted in Adelaide on 11th. July 1916. At the time he was 20 years 4 months old, 5foot 7inches and weighed 148lbs. According to his medical records he did not suffer from amongst many other conditions, Scrofula, Phthisis, inveterate cutaneous disease, syphilis, defective intelligence or any other disease or physical defect calculated to unfit him for duties of a soldier.

After initial training he embarked Adelaide on the S.S. Commonwealth on 21st. Sept. that year and disembarked in Plymouth on the14th. Nov. 1916After a short period in hospital in January 1917 for inflammation of the joints he proceeded to France on 28th. Feb. 1917Joe was taken on the strength of 32nd. Battalion on the 6th. Mar. 1917. Assigned to 9 Platoon in C Company during a period that saw the battalion participating to some extent during the following battles.BapaumeBullecourtYpresMenin RoadPolygon WoodA severe leg wound (referred to in his medical records in one spot as a gunshot wound and in another as a shrapnel wound) to his right leg on 25th. Oct. 1917 saw Joe in hospital in England by the 30th. October.Following his rehabilitation he returned to his unit on 12th. June 1918 in time for the 32nd Battalion to engage in some more battles before it was withdrawn for training and rebuilding.After the Armistice he returned to Australia and was discharged at Port Denison on 6th. January 1919.As a result of his service Joe was entitled to wear the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home