Saturday, September 24, 2005

THE TREE vs THE FRUIT







They say the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree, but I think the opposite is also true. The tree doesn't fall far from it's fruit. For example how many of us parents have found ourselves doing things with our kids and then being totally consumed by it to the point where we no longer have a life? For example. On my recent trip back home I spent some good quality time with each of my three kids, including watching cartoon network and playing on our playstation. After being beat repeatedly by my 12 year old son, Matthew I gradually developed the basic skill of operating a game controller. It was fun but I felt that the roles were reversed and that it was Matt teaching me. Back in Germany, I am fortunate to have some roomates who are also role reversed and spend considerable hours playing video games.

As I get older I find myself acting younger in some ways. Is this an attempt to slow down the aging process? I am not sure. I know that when I was younger I couldn't wait until I could get rich, have a nice car and do all the good stuff that adults do. Now, I am enjoying watching my children grow and trying to participate more in their lives. Kids are cool. They frustrate you at times but they are also rewarding if you let them. I probably have 8 years or so before they leave the nest, so I think I am probably in the middle of not slowing down the aging process for me, but delaying the time before the apple leaves the tree for good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home