Thursday, October 06, 2005












HOW TO HYPNOTIZE CHICKENS
If you can believe it, this is one of my few truly gifted talents. The other one is turning my eyelids inside out. I have been hypnotising chooks (Aussie word for chicken), for about 20 years off and on, and even learnt a new and better technique from a fellow chook hypnotizer.

First some stories and history on the subject.
I first saw some Italian workers hypnotise one of our roosters on the family farm, just before it was butchered. They said that it relaxed the bird and made it easier to dispatch. Later on when I was teaching Agriculture, I demonstrated to my students the technique, which they were very proud to accomplish. (just the hynotizing, not the butchering).

A few years ago, on our little farm, we had a very mean Astralop rooster called Cackles. When we first got him we thought he was a hen, but later when he started to crow, we quickly changed our mind. Well he never really went for me as he and I had a little talk, but he did like to fly up at my 8 year old daughter Shannon and her friend Nina.

Nina was pretty scared of Cackles until one day I caught the old guy and showed her how to hypnotize him. She did this and with great pride was amazed that he no longer attacked her. One day about 2 weeks later, Nina was visiting and I saw her out in the chicken pen. Hi Mr G, "Cackles won't attack me anymore will he?"" Nope", I said but here he came. Feathers outstretched and talons and beak blazing, smack right into her back. You could have heard Nina scream from a mile away, and I tried not to laugh as the pair went flying past me.

These are my techniques for hypnotizing chooks.

Line Method:
Lay the bird on its side in a bright open sandy area. Gently place one hand on its wing and with the other draw a 6" line 90degrees, 3" from it's beak. Slowly release your other hand and step away. The bird will lie there for 10minutes or so or you clap your hands.

Finger Method:
This is by far the easiest, and quickest method. Hold the bird as before, with one eye up. Take your index finger and point it towards the birds eye (don't touch it!), make small circles right over its eye, release your holding hand and step back. This is amazing to watch.

I have tried this technique with turkey's, ducks and sheep. It doesn't work on sheep. My dream one day is to go on Leno or Letterman and try and break the Guiness Book of Records for hypnotizing the most chickens at one time, then having the audience clap and wake them all up. I have got 4 at a time so far, but they are hard to catch and the squawking wakes up the other birds. You really need a quiet environment. I do not believe that this harms the birds in anyway, but it could be that they are in fear and that is why they freeze up, or it is because they are just really relaxed. Their heart beats fast, but that is normal for birds anyway. Hope you liked the class, please go easy on your chooks.

SSG OZ

5 Comments:

Blogger Lynette Sowell said...

Okay, now I have heard it all, Geof. You really need to find a way to get onto Leno. We'd cheer for ya!
~~Lynette

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geof -
My brother, sister, and I used to do this with our chickens as well, but used a slightly different technique. One kid would hold the chicken down on it's belly, holding its wings, then the other person would run their index finger down the face and beak of the chicken, then into the dirt drawing about a six inch line in the dirt. I do believe that we got 3 or 4 at one time as well.
later,
Matt

10:46 PM  
Blogger OneEar said...

http://oneear.blogspot.com/2005/12/chicken-spectacles.html

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my friend's story regarding chicken hypnotism

2:53 PM  
Anonymous va loan said...

That is the funniest thing i had ever heard. My neighbor has chickens and i am going over there tonight to try it out.
VA Loans

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home